I have been busy working on a new feature called topics. It is an attempt to make it easier to find drawers who want to draw something along the same lines. Along with this there come several enhancements and features.
Optional User Registration
Topics come together with user registration. You will only need to register if you want to take part in drawing on topics, “normal” Colorillo remains the same: you don’t need a username for that.
I am not a big fan of having to sign up on a web page and Colorillo is very usable without it. But it happens that someone comes along and draws over the homepage where just something nice was being created. I don’t want this to happen for people who have found each other to draw something specific.
When you are registered you will show up with your username in the user list.
There are also two bonus features for registered users: statistics and view the drawings you participated in or created.
There are some additions to the side bar: on the top right there is a drop down that lets you switch from the user list to something called “drawing info & options”.
I have picked a screenshot that shows all available boxes on this section. Most likely you won’t encounter all of them at once.
- When the drawing was created.
- Statistics of the drawing. This shows the number of drawers and lines that were used to get to this drawing. This behaves a bit differently on the homepage, there it shows a live statistic of what has happened since you arrived.
- Whether the drawing belongs to a topic (see below for more).
- When you are the one who created the drawing, you can now lock the drawing. If you feel that the drawing is finished, you can lock it so that nobody can add any lines to it.
- There is also a voting box so that you can vote for or against a drawing right then and there.
- Creation history: Shows if the drawing was based on another drawing, and/or other drawings are based on this drawing.
I have to say up front that the whole section still is a little rough, but over time it will become better.
Apart from the idea that drawings can belong to a topic, each topic has something I call a drawing room. When you are registered, you can simply go to this picture and draw. Everyone else can watch.
There are already a few topics like animals, landscapes, and portraits, but you can create any topic you want.
Every drawing that is created from a drawing room or from a drawing already assigned to the topic gets assigned to the topic again. Also I can re-assign existing drawings to a topic.
So this leaves me to say: Try it out, I hope you like it and create even more amazing drawings together.